Thursday, January 20, 2011


Title: Magyk (First in the Septimus Heap series)
Author: Angie Sage

I haven't read any books lately, or at least since the Harry Potter series, that involved wizards as the main characters, so I was itching a bit to get back into a world of spells and incantations. Magyk is about A princess, her adoptive brother, and a boy from the Young Army trying to survive when their lives are turned upside down by a Necromancer, named DomDaniel, who once again becomes the ExtraOrdinary Wizard.

The main villain of this book, DomDaniel, felt more like a glorified idiot than someone with powerful magyk and cunning, and I had to wonder how anyone could have feared him at all. The main characters didn't seem to have much trouble running circles around him - I didn't mind it to much at some parts he was, after all, different from the usual antagonist. Despite that I liked most of the main characters themselves, especially boy 412 and Niko, and I thought they were decently developed. There were some small things that didn't make to much sense to me, but they didn't pull away from the story overly much and I do plan to continue with this series to see how it plays out.

Final Score: 7 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment